Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Little Girl in the Closet

I recently had this dream of finding a little girl hiding in the closet. A close friend and my counselor both suggested that the little girl I found was me. They also recommended I write to that little girl.

Me: Hey babygirl, I've been looking for you. Can I sit in here with you?

Girl: Yeah.

Me: How long have you been in here?

Girl: I don't know, a long time.

Me: Here I brought you our friend.

Girl: Teddy!!!

Me: You know, its really dark in here. You aren't afraid of the dark?

Girl: It makes it safer like that.

Me: Makes what safer?

Girl: Nobody can see me cry in here. I can hide it better.

Me: Hide what better?

Girl: The secret.

Me: What secret? Can you tell me?

Girl: He said if I told somebody I would be in trouble.

Me: Who told you that you would be in trouble?

Girl: Uncle Ken

Me: When did he tell you this?

Girl: When he did stuff.

Me: What stuff?

Girl: You won't get mad?

Me: No honey. You can tell me anything.

Girl: He touched me. He said it was because I was bad.

Me: Did anything else happen?

Girl: He made me do things and it hurt. I'm scared he will know that I told you.

Me: Its ok to be scared, but I'm here now and I won't let him hurt you anymore. I'm glad you told me. Now we can face this together and you don't have to be alone anymore. Is it ok if I give you a hug?

Girl: Yeah.

Me: Sweetheart, you've held this inside for a very long time and its ok to cry.

Girl: He got mad if I cried.

Me: He isn't here anymore. You are safe. I say its ok to cry. I want you to remember something: What he did to you wasn't your fault. He didn't do it because you were bad. He did it because he is a very sick human being.

Girl: But he said I deserved it.

Me: He's the bad guy, not you. You were a good girl and very obedient. He took advantage of that. Nothing you could have done would deserve what he did to you. What he did was just wrong. He was wrong, not you. He was suppose to take care of you and be there if you needed something. He failed miserably!!!

Girl: I feel ugly and dirty.

Me: Thats how he wanted you to feel. But do you know what?

Girl: What?

Me: I don't think you are ugly and dirty at all. I think you are a beautiful little girl with a great smile and a big heart. You are strong and a fighter. You were very brave to go through what you did. And that past is over with forever.

Girl: What if he sees me again?

Me: I will be with you and I will fight him for you. I will not let him touch you again. And whenever you want to talk, I'm here for you. If you need a hug or even someone to play with, whatever you need I'm here for you.

Girl: Ok.

Me: Are you hungry? How about we go get some ice cream? Any kind you want!

Girl: Can Teddy come too?

Me: Of course! I say Teddy is our guest of honor and deserves ice cream too.

No comments:

Post a Comment